COURSE/SUBJECT TITLE: Spanish
GRADE LEVEL: 5
LENGTH OF TIME: 2 Quarters (every other day for 60-65 minutes)
COURSE DESCRIPTION (by Unit): Fifth grade Spanish is based on a Total Physical Response/Storytelling (TPR/TPRS) curriculum using "¡Cuéntame!"쳌. This curriculum is based on the philosophy of comprehensible input using stories. Students learn the language kinesthetically (coupling vocabulary with action).
UNIT TITLE: Quarter 1, ¡Cuéntame! 1-3, Review of previously learned vocabulary, Numbers 1-30, Calendar vocabulary: date and days of the week. Cultural Celebrations/Holidays as they fall in each quarter.
UNIT TITLE: Quarter 2, ¡Cuéntame! 4-6, Continuation of Q1 material, House Vocabulary, Compare and Contrast foods and meal times in the United States and Spanish speaking countries, Classroom vocabulary, Clothing vocabulary. Cultural Celebrations/Holidays as they fall in each quarter.
REPORTING STANDARD: Oral Communication
- Students will be able to orally re-tell portions of learned stories.
- Students will be able to communicate in present tense (1st and 3rd person singular and plural.)
REPORTING STANDARD: Oral Comprehension
- Students will demonstrate understanding of stories by acting them out and by answering written and oral questions in Spanish.
REPORTING STANDARD: Vocabulary and Grammar
- Students will be able to define and spell target vocabulary correctly.
- Students will show a basic understanding of target grammar.
REPORTING STANDARD: Reading Comprehension
- Students are introduced to extended readings and will demonstrate understanding of main ideas and supporting details by responding orally and in writing to questions.
REPORTING STANDARD: Culture
- Through class activities students will demonstrate understanding of where some Spanish speaking countries are located and how dÃa de los muertos is celebrated in Mexico.
REPORTING STANDARD: Writing
- Students will be able to respond in writing to basic questions.
- Students will be able to write a story in 3rd person singular using target vocabulary.
EVIDENCE/ASSESSMENT: TEXTS AND OTHER RESOURCES:
Informal oral assessments every day ¡Cuéntame!, Christine Anderson and Valeri Marsh
Quizzes throughout the term Other teacher generated handouts
"Cuaderno" Self made Spanish text
Other assignments and projects