COURSE/SUBJECT TITLE: Symphonic Band
GRADE LEVEL: 7th and 8th
LENGTH OF TIME: Full Year (three 45-minute classes per week: two full band rehearsals and one like-instrument lesson)
This group is for students that are ready to play more advanced literature and to work on the finer points of music making. Band Music is selected on a difficulty level of grade 2 Â½ to grade 3.
There are two full 45-minute band rehearsals a week. Students attend one band lesson each week in a smaller, like-instrument group setting that allows students' playing to become more refined with a better tone, extended range, and improved articulation. Some students are selected to be in small ensemble groups during this lesson block. Percussion ensemble, brass quintet, and jazz band are examples of these groups.
Students' reading skills will improve with weekly band lessons allowing students to perform more complex music with more individual parts and added range on their instrument. Students learn more about their responsibility to the larger group both in playing their part and attending rehearsals.
The 7th and 8th grade jazz band meets during school one day each week. Solos are presented at the end of the year with piano accompaniment.
REPORTING STANDARD: Collaboration and Ensemble Work
- Students will perform selected band repertoire alone and with others demonstrating the technical and musical knowledge learned.
- Students will sight-read music that encompasses concepts previously introduced.
- Students will practice and rehearse student's individual part as it fits into the whole ensemble; balance and blend with tone and dynamics.
- Students will understand the role of the individual in the large group and perform a variety of concert literature at the 2 Â½ - 3 grade level.
- Students will use and apply music vocabulary as it applies to band literature and SE textbook.
- Students will apply and demonstrate concert & stage etiquette.
REPORTING STANDARD: Listening & Literacy skills
- Students will identify correct intonation using an electronic tuner and by ear (pitch perception).
- Students will understand and use music vocabulary as it applies to band literature and text.
- Students will count and perform rhythms and rest up to sixteenth notes.
- Students will recognize stylist or cultural significance of repertoire.
REPORTING STANDARD: Expressiveness and Technique
- Students will improve individual tone quality with posture, breathing, position, reed strength.
- Students will perform scales up to 3 flats and 3 sharps and chromatic scales in 2 octaves, if applicable.
- Students will increase control and clarity of dynamics and articulation.
|7th Grade||8th Grade|
Students will play band music alone to show their preparation.
Students will participate in the Fall & Spring Concert.
Smart Music assignments submitted on the computer.
TEXTS AND OTHER RESOURCES:
Music selected for each performance, by band director
Standard of Excellence or comparable text: Finish book 2 and work in 3.
Smart Music assessment.
Written work on Key signatures, enharmonic, half steps, counting skills, notation.