COURSE/SUBJECT TITLE: General Music
GRADE LEVEL: 6th
LENGTH OF TIME: One Quarter (60/65 minutes every other day)
COURSE DESCRIPTION: Sixth grade general music will involve students continuing to have a kinesthetic musical experience. They make music, listen, move, and read/ write each class. Students will work on musical vocabulary and basic music theory. Students continue to sing and play rhythm instruments. In this class they will be exposed to acoustic guitar. Students will work in small groups on a song project. Students will demonstrate all of the skills that they have worked on throughout the term on a final project. Emphasis in 6th grade is on American literature.
REPORTING STANDARD: Listening and Movement
- Students will identify and demonstrate the following rhythms: quarter note, eighth note, quarter rest, half note, half rest, sixteenth notes, and syncopated eighth note and quarter note patterns.
- Students will be able to recognize songs through solfege and the qualities/ relationship between major and minor modalities. Students will be able to describe major and minor chords.
- Students will actively listen and evaluate a variety of music using musical language, description, and eurhythmics. Students will also be able to assess themselves and others on the musical elements.
REPORTING STANDARD: Literacy
- Students will understand and demonstrate the solfege scale up and down with hand signs in both major and minor keys.
- Students will be able to analyze musical elements within songs. This will include elements such as: tempo, dynamics, form, and modality.
REPORTING STANDARD: Creating and making music
- Students will be able to play rhythm instruments on a varied repertoire of music in unison, rounds, partner songs, and ostinatos.
- Students will identify and read a guitar chord chart, understand the parts of the instrument, and be able to identify in writing all parts, string names, and handling the instrument with care.
- Students will play 2-3 guitar chords in rhythm with proper posture, fingering, and care. Students will be able to sing and play the instrument simultaneously in small groups.
Rhythm dictation worksheets
TEXTS AND OTHER RESOURCES:
Making Music Silver Burdett series grade 6
Teacher generated listening maps
Teacher generated listening dictation charts
Teacher generated writing assignments