COURSE/SUBJECT TITLE: General Music
GRADE LEVEL: 5th
LENGTH OF TIME: One Quarter (40 minutes every other day)
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The main components of 5th grade general music program are making, reading, listening, and moving to music. Students work with a hands-on approach to music making/learning. Students learn a varied repertoire of music, with an emphasis on folk music.
REPORTING STANDARD: Listening and Movement
- Students will identify and demonstrate the following rhythms: quarter note, eighth note, quarter rest, half note, and syncopated eighth note and quarter note patterns.
- Students will be able to recognize melodic intervals and songs through solfege and understand the relationship between the two.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of musical form, meter, and rhythm through basic dance.
REPORTING STANDARD: Literacy
- Students will understand and demonstrate the major scale up and down with solfege hand signs and syllables.
- Students will actively listen and evaluate a variety of music using musical language, description, and eurhythmics.
- Students will sight read rhythm and pitch in standard musical notation.
REPORTING STANDARD: Creating and making music
- Students will sing and play rhythm instruments on a varied repertoire of music in unison, rounds, partner songs, and ostinatos.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the overall ensemble and how their part fits into the whole both musically and collaboratively.
|Family of Instruments
Rhythm dictation worksheets
Writing assignments/ essays
TEXTS AND OTHER RESOURCES:
Making Music Silver Burdett series grade 5
Teacher generated listening maps
Teacher generated listening dictation charts