Direct instruction reading intervention designed for struggling readers. It is designed specifically for students who cannot read accurately and fluently, students with attention deficits, students whose overall academic performance is hurt by poor comprehension, and students whose reading places them at a risk for failure.
The Read for Real Program components include: group read-alouds, comprehension questions, teacher-directed text questions, note-taking strategies and graphic organizers. Each story features a multiple choice and written assessment component. Teacher selected literature will also be used periodically to supplement.
Grade level: Targeted 5-8
Students may qualify by meeting either of these testing results:
- Score between 25-30th percentile on MAZE
- Intervention team discretion
- Or three normed assessments indicate comprehension needs.
Class is scheduled as an everyday ten-week intensive intervention, immediately following intervention session an assessment will be administered to see if additional intervention is warranted.
Students may leave the program one of two ways:
- Achieve score of 45th percentile or greater on MAZE,
- Recommendation of intervention teacher based on Read for Real assessment data.